Saturday, September 7, 2013

"Establishing Professional Contacts"

Issues and Trends in Early Childhood
 "Establishing Professional Contacts"

I finally received a response back after sending out many emails.  I tried different resources when it came to me engaging with an international early childhood educator.  I did not find the sites that Walden University to be very helpful.  Most of the email addresses did not seem to be valid.  Here are a few of the websites and there links that I tried.  The site that worked for me was the, “The Global Classroom Project site.”  I’m still seeking another contact to ensure success when it comes to my blog posts.
The educator that I was able to make a connection with is Raissa Tilaime Charif.  She currently lives in Kpalimé which is in Africa.  Raissa is originally from Diégo-Suarez, Antsiranana.  Africans speak French in the part of Africa she grew up in.  Raissa says that she has a “blended classroom she teaches kindergarten and 1st grade.”  I think we both look forward to discussing and sharing about different trends

1.       The Global Alliance of NAEYC has e-mail addresses for early childhood professionals worldwide:
2.       UNICEF has local organizations and representatives worldwide. Check out the country specific links and contact a local representative:
3.       The Global Classroom Project
Enabling teachers to connect, learn, share, collaborate, and lead – globally!

Part 2, "Expanding Resources"

I subscribed to NIEER online news.  They also have other venues that they share information such as Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube.  NIEER’s website is very easy to follow and navigate through.  By subscribing to NIEER newsletter I can receive the latest information on hot topics, early childhood education research, and upcoming events.  This is the URL link:  http://nieer.org

4 comments:

  1. Sherry, your experience mirrored mine--establishing international contacts was definitely a challenge! I think it’s so exciting that you have found an early childhood colleague in Africa. I imagine that her perspective will be incredibly valuable to share with the rest of us. Congratulations on discovering (through lots of hard work) a great resource—hope you find another one too.
    Don’t you love the NIEER website? NIEER director Dr. Steve Barnett is someone who I really admire. I have heard him present a number of times and he is an amazing advocate for early childhood education both in New Jersey and nationally. -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran across that website also to contact educators. I chose three sites just to make sure that I would be able to contact someone if an assignment was due. I like the way you setup your blog post this week. I look forward to reading your future post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Sherry it is definitly hard to get in contact with the international contacts. I am still waiting, so I might have to figure out a different website to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sherry,

    I,too,am having problems finding reliable websites for the international resources. I tried my contacts in Jamaica, but I have not heard back from them as of yet. Since the NAEYC has a intentional site, I am going to use it to find what I need. Thank you for the heads up. It sounds like you have found a good link in Africa. I await to hear all about how they learn. It is interesting that French is their native language.

    Joyce Galloway

    ReplyDelete