Saturday, May 11, 2013

Childbirth In Your Life and Around the World

I can't say that I have any personal experiences when it comes to child birthing. Many of my friends have had good prenatal care. I've seen them watch what they eat, take their vitamins, and make sure they stay away from known substances that could harm their baby. I've heard a couple stress c-sections ignoring that the healing time is suppose to be greater. They felt that they'd take that any day rather than to have their vagina torn. Then I have the one's who brag about having a natural childbirth with out drugs. Now these friends are the ones I shake my head at and laugh at the most. I know for myself I will ask the doctor to give be a double dosage if need be. I'd rather give up bragging right then to endure pain any day! With all this being said I can proudly and rejoicefully say that they have all given birth to healthy babies. There has been a couple of miscarriages amongst the group but nothing because of what one of my friends may have done. My friends have been the lucky and fortunate ones. However you do have some women who do everything right and then they still face complications when it comes to the baby that they have brought to term. Then you will have some woman who are very carefree and relaxed when it comes to giving their fetus the care, and nature it needs and everything comes out right. So even with all the studies,and test there still is no way to know for sure what will be yours and your babies fate. However it's strongly suggested and proved that you do the things that you are suppose to do to increase your chances of a healthy child birth. With that being said I would like to share a story that I'm sure we are probably all aware of. It's the one about the the three young ladies that have been held captive for 10 years. One of the captives Amanda Berry ended up giving birth to a little girl who is now 6. I'm sure it's safe to say that Amanda did not have the proper prenatal care. Nor did she live or give birth in a non stressful environment. It's said that Amanda gave birth in a kids plastic swimming pool, and delivered by one of the other young female captives. Of course only time will tell but it's said that the child is healthy in the physical state. I choose this story to support to a certain degree of what I said above. The biggest difference is that Amanda Berry didn't have any choice when it came to prenatal care, and the conditions that she had to delivery her baby in. Africa: It's said that giving birth while squatting is a common practice in Africa. It's also very common to use a midwife. "In some ways what we do in Western society is completely idiotic if you understand physiology," says Dahlen. "Lying on your back to give birth is about the most stupid thing you can get a woman to do because she is trying to push her baby uphill as opposed to using gravity. What we currently do with about 90 per cent of women giving birth on a bed on their backs is completely and utterly ridiculous," (Smith.S 2012) Dahlen does make a lot of sense. However I don't think that I will be giving birth while squatting unless I'm in Africa! 1. Smith, S (July 2012). A better way of Giving Birth. http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life/a-better-way-of-giving-birth-20120724-22mqq.html 2. Botelho,G (May 2013). Ohio kidnapping case: Amanda Berry's baby delivered by another captive. http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/08/us/ohio-missing-women-found/index.html?iref=allsearch

5 comments:

  1. Sherry
    I have read and heard limited information on the 3 women held captive in Cleveland. Yes it is astonishing that she was pregnant and gave birth with no pre or post natal care for either her or the newborn! Research can say a lot but not everyone fits the mold created for research and statistics. I am most fortunate that I was able to deliver in a hospital as my outcome in her situation could have been gravely different for me and my son! I hail technology and won't be delivering in the squatting position either!! (also you cannot if you have an epidural as you can't stand or walk because of the numbing)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sherry! Pregnancy is a beautiful thing! Some women do it by the book while othrs do it however. Regardless as to how, as long as the child comes out healthy is all that matters. I ate right for the most part, but there were times I deviated from the meal plan. There will be parents that never eat healthy, eating greasy, fatty foods and not even have an issue with child birth. There will be those who follow the diet to the "T" and still not have a healthy children. Different things are factors in when it comes to the health of a child. When you decide to have one, just make sure you are ready and at least try to prepare for doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherry, Thank you for sharing about Amanda Berry I was wanting to find out more about her and the child she had. It is so hard to believe that this kind of activity happens right here in the US.
    Child birth has come along way over the years. I have had challenges with two births and one miscarriage - I'm glad I had good medical attention. Otherwise, squatting sounds like a good option when your back feels like it's breaking!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remebered when my neice mother was carrying her, she adhered to the doctor instructions and made sure that she took her vitamins and ate healthy foods, because she wanted a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby. Not only did she listen to the doctor, but she did research because this was her first pregnancy and she wanted everything to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of the few people that I have been close to when they were pregnant, unfortunately I cant think of one that followed the doctors orders 100 %. Thank God they all had healthy babies. Following doctors orders and taking care of your self is essential to having a health babies. Women should not play Russian roulette with their babies lives.

    ReplyDelete